Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw-out Bearing Sound, But NOT Throw-out Bearing?

Icon5 Throw-out Bearing Sound, But NOT Throw-out Bearing?

Well I finally got my 02GT running after I spent a fair amount on it. So I got my mechanic to replace my throw-out bearing and he replaced the clutch as well since the previous owner rode the clutch.
    But the issue is, leaving it in neutral (it's a 5speed) you can hear a bearing noise. When you engage the clutch it goes away.
    So what could that be, when I KNOW it's not the throw-out bearing.
    Could it be the transmission? If so, what in the transmission and how bad?
    2002 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 5speed manual 116k All Original
    Mods Coming Soon: Headers, CAI, 2.5" pipe, FlowMaster exhaust, BBK throttle body, dyno tune

It could very well be the input shafts bearings. Not too bad of a job.

Classic Member

It may need a little adjustment. I believe yours is the same as the Fox with the cable self adjusting quadrant. May not have enough preload. Try pulling the clutch pedal and see if it clicks. If not you need to reach up under the dash behind the gas pedal to release the pawl to reset.

John

Transmission noises? When you leave it neutral the input shaft and countershaft are spinning.

Does it whine in any gear?
    I'm not, I already found an 89 roller with similar goodies yours has but I do know someone else who's looking for one. I'll forward him your info.
    Any more info? Details or pics? Price?

Just needs slack taken out so slight tension on bearing
    When fully disengaged.

Wow, thanks for all the help. I have ask another friend who has owned a bunch of Mustangs and he said the Pilot Bearing was the issue. Sometimes the car DOES whine while in 1st at low speeds, but I can't really hear it in other gears.
    Skunk, I will try pulling the clutch pedal before I leave for work tonight and see if it makes any noise.
    I just hope whatever it is, my mechanic won't charge me again for taking out the transmission when I clearly told him "Whatever it needs to be fixed, do it."
    Mods Coming Soon: Headers, CAI, 2.5" pipe, FlowMaster exhaust, BBK throttle body, dyno tune

Classic Member

If it was the pilot bearing you would have difficulty putting it in gear and you will rarely hear noise it will sound more like screeching.

Try this.....put very light foot pressure on the pedal and see if it goes away. If you can control the noise like a switch you need more preload on the throw-out to pressure plate. If you can't adjust the cable any you may need to replace it (the cable)

John

This is good to know, as my coupe is making the same noise. Push down on the clutch ever so lightly the noise goes away. Thanks John for the tip! I'll have to give it a try.
    2001 Mustang GT Bullitt, in True Blue
    1990 Mustang LX Coupe, in Twilight Blue

I tried pulling on the clutch and no noise.
    My buddy checked it out last night at work and he said it could still be the throw-out bearing, even though my mechanic showed me my bearing.
    At times, when I engage the clutch and put it into 1st gear (While still holding the clutch) you can still hear the noise.
    OTHER times however, when in 1st, it'll go away...
    I don't have the time to take it to my mechanic because I need to get to work.
    There are times in which it is difficult to put it into 2nd or 3rd gear.

Classic Member

Ok now its sounding more like transmission issues. It's above me so I will leave my opinion out of it and leave it to those who know. T-RAT may have already nailed it.

You should call TDS (sponsor) and tell him what you posted above. Great shop, but as you well know it's not easy to diagnose on the internet or over the phone.

Good Luck
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast