Thread: Foxbody Front 'Skinny' Tires - What size and brand are recommended?

"Attention To Detail" SilverStallion's Avatar

Foxbody Front 'Skinny' Tires - What size and brand are recommended?

I have the Sportsmans on my Coupe now but want to change to something else. Going to run the MT DR on the back - what are you running on your cars for front skinnies and what size?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

17x4.5 and 15x10 seem to be the common choice. I have Racestars on mine but there are better choices, just much more expensive. V-series, alumastar 2.0, and Magnum from Weld are my favorites
    1993 Fox Coupe Twin Turbo Coyote Build

Go on Summit Racing, they have a couple brands, that are good and good price. I run the Phoenix FX.
    '17 Explorer XLT appearance pack (Platinum White)
    '16 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 5.0L (Blue Flame)
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 9.89 @ 139
    '07 Corvette Z06 2LZ (Machine Silver) 11.0 @ 122

Don't need 17" on the front of a Fox for skinnies unless you're running Cobra brakes. Common to use 15x3.5 to 4.5" with 165R15 radials, any brand that sells that size now ... old VW Beetle size. Those would be fine for street use. If you're actually racing it and / or running up to higher speeds frequently, then you should use a proper "front-runner" tire.

cheers
    Ed
    84 Mustang SVO
    95 Jaguar XJR

I dare ya ... I double dare ya ... TC86GT's Avatar

One of the better choices, but a bit pricey would be a Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR 26x6r15 (PN 6652), radial construction so it won't be funky with drag radials out back. A bit better quality tire than a generic VW sized tire. I believe Hoosier makes a skinny full tread front radial as well. With that said a VW sized 165r15 tire is the common choice, but getting very hard to find locally. When I bought mine there were literally 4 in stock in the warehouse we dealt with for Southern Ontario. Also BF Goodrich makes a Radial TA in 155 80 15 size, a hair smaller but seems to be a decent tire all around.

like Ed said 165 will work ...specifically 165/80/15...Nankang CX668,Nexen SB802
    92 Notch...4.6 4v

I see that BFG make a radial TA in 155/80/15 - would that be too short for this application in your opinion? Car sees more show than go however want to maintain the bigs/littles look.

Darren

TC86GT mentioned that one in his post, they would be fine as well. Difference in diameter between it and the 165 would be less than 1/2" typically. The specs on Tire Rack show it at 24.8" diameter which is about 3/4" shorter than OEM Fox tires, but as long as the car isn't stock ride height they should look OK.

Thanks guys. Went with the MT Sportsmans S/R front skinnys. Pricey however should offer what we are looking for. I appreciate the advice.

Darren